Creamy Gluten-Free Broccoli Soup

Tuesday, January 26, 2010


Photobucket

Jessie continues to do well. She didn't miss a beat after returning from Virginia and was practically non-stop this past weekend. I know that statistically adolescents have a higher recovery rate from CFS so we're holding our breath and hoping that her condition continues to improve.

Her daily does of Lyrica will be reduced by half beginning tomorrow. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted as we progress.

On to a yummy topic!

I used this Broccoli Soup recipe from Foodnetwork.com once before and it was a success. We'll be having it again tonight. It's easy and delicious. Of course, I substitute the all purpose flour with gluten-free and use gluten-free chicken broth. My tweaks also include changing the cream to fat-free half & half, adding an extra carrot, and this time I'm going to sneak a handful of spinach into the mixture. Hey, it's already green and whatever it takes to get the healthy foods in, right? I also don't add the croutons. We just add a little shredded cheese.

Now, I just wish I had one of those immersion blenders. It's on my wish list. As it stands, I gradually puree the soup in my blender, saving a small portion (maybe 1/5) chunky. If you use the blender, be sure to only fill the blender halfway because the heat will cause pressure and, well, you would be in for a mell-of-a-hess, if you know what I mean. POW!

*Image from foodnetwork.com

5 Reactions:

Shelli January 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM  

I love my immersion blender! It works so well. It was really cheap, too -- I think I got it at Wal-Mart for around $8.

The soup sounds delicious -- I'll have to give it a try. I have strange children who love fruits and vegetables, so I'm sure they wouldn't even mind me sneaking in the spinach (a very good idea, by the way!).

Sue Jackson January 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Mmmm...sounds good. Maybe I'll try it, subbing soy milk for the cream - I was surprised that the recipe only calls for a little bit of cream.

I'd love an immersion blender, too!!

Sue

Sue Jackson January 26, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

Oh, I almost forgot - so exciting that Jessie is doing so well, even after a big weekend!

Brian January 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

Sounds tasty! I should give this a try. I need to bombard my daughter with vegetables using new and inventive ways. Thanks for the idea.

me/cfs warrior January 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

That's wonderful news that Jessie is doing so well after her weekend! I'll keep her in my thoughts for a full recovery.

Thanks for posting the recipe! I'm going to go gluten free and love broccoli soup so its perfect!

Terri

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments & feedback. Thanks for visiting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP