Chicken Satay Stir Fry

Wednesday, January 13, 2010


I adapted this from a Rachel Ray recipe on Food Network. It will be a new staple for us because it was dee-lish! Try it out

This is not copied exactly from Foodnetwork.com. I changed up a few things.
What's below is my adaptation. Go to the link for the actual recipe. You could really change up the vegetables to suit your taste, we did. The main thing is the satay sauce.

Chicken Satay Stir-Fry with Orange Scented Jasmine Rice

Rice:
3 3/4 c. water
2 oranges, zested
2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed

Stir Fry:
2 tbs. canola oil
1 pkg. (about 1.3 lb.) chicken breast tenders, sliced into bite-sized pieces
3 cloves minced garlic
1 onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 bunch fresh broccoli
about 4-5 baby portabello mushrooms, rough chopped

*The original recipe uses onion, peppers, carrots, garlic, snow peas, & scallions.

Satay:
4 rounded tbs. peanut butter
3 tbs. GF soy sauce
3 tbs. honey
1" of ginger root, shredded
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 orange, juiced

*As the sauce warms, it thickens. You will probably want to add a little water to thin.

Garnish:
chopped peanuts

Heat water with orange zest to boiling. Add rice, return to boil, stir. Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook rice until tender, about 18 minutes. Fluff with fork.

For stir-fry, heat a large skillet to high heat. Add oil, chicken, garlic, and onion. Stir fry for 3 minutes. Add remaining veggies and stir-fry 5 minutes more.

Heat the ingredients for the sauce under low heat in a small saucepan, whisking to combine.

When ready to serve, I added the sauce directly to the stir-fry pan.

Enjoy!





3 Reactions:

Shelli January 13, 2010 at 10:19 AM  

Sounds delicious! I have to tell you, though, for this kind of dish, I much prefer tofu over chicken. My kids think I'm nuts, but it just seems to be perfect. I'll have to try this out!

Sue Jackson January 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

Sounds good! We have a couple of Rachel Ray cookbooks (actually, they're Craig's!) but we haven't tried many recipes from them. I'm still sort of in survival mode, relying on easy, old favorites this week, but I may try this next week!

I heard from an old college friend today who saw my Facebook page. She was diagnosed with CFS but it turned out she has a gluten intolerance (also Hashimoto's) and now she's doing great on a gluten-free diet. Small world, huh?

Sue

shrink on the couch January 21, 2010 at 5:49 AM  

yum. no wonder! and I can never have enough recipes for chicken breast tenders.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments & feedback. Thanks for visiting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP