Two Weeks In - It Could be a Record

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Jessie made it daily for an entire two weeks.

Disclaimer:
Are you picking up on the sarcasm? Prepare yourself for a heavy dose. Please note that I love my family desperately. However, sarcastic humor seems to be my vodka these days. The family accepts it with open arms and you should too.

My daughter is a walking magnet for any stray viruses or bacteria because that's what found her. Needle in a haystack? No, she's more like the pink elephant in the haystack to germs. Being a visual person, I can actually picture evil bacteria stalking my little girl around the halls of the high school. Forget about the kid who never bathes or the one who eats dirt. Jessie's around. She's MUCH better.

Moving along...

Apparently what we thought was a CFIDS "flare" turned out to be a virus. Oh, let me give you a playback. It's better.

Last Monday Jes woke with the killer migraine - the kind that gives you a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach because you recognize it as the type that likes to hang around, like a bad penny, or seriously bad luck. Anyway, and I'm ashamed to admit this, once Thursday morning rolled around and the poor girl was still throbbing, we went to the emergency room for the oh so familiar dose of Benadryl, saline and steroids. By afternoon, the headache was gone, Jessie was loopy and sleepy and cranky and, okay, we're turning into the seven dwarves here. You get the picture. She slept it off for a a couple of days and we thought things would be good by Monday morning for school. It's a good thing I don't rely too heavily on expectations because...

Monday morning, bright and early, I check on Jessie. She must have missed her alarm. No, she'd been up vomiting. Oh joy, something new. Okay, I say, it must be some leftover something from the massive dose of medication she'd received in the ER which, I know, really doesn't make a lot of sense. Give me a break, I'm a mom, not a doctor and I'm searching here.

By Tuesday (today) the "incidences" were continuing so we went to the regular doctor who advised that the migraine was possibly triggered by a nasty virus that's been hanging around. The low grade fever on Friday wasn't from the ER visit and the vomiting was the final gift of this fabulous virus. We were given a few doses of something to help with the stomach issues and were told that, hopefully Jessie will be back in school tomorrow. One can only hope.

In the meantime, we have collected the proper paperwork and requested intermittent homebound status again this year. It is a necessary evil as well as a welcome blessing in high school. If a student misses more than seven days, even excused, credit will not be given for the classes taken. Missing seven days or less for us would be a gift from heaven, which I'm not expecting because, remember? Expectations are at an all-time low in this family. :)

What's that song? "We're back in the saddle again..."

3 Reactions:

Courtney August 27, 2009 at 6:16 AM  

Oh, the poor girl! I hope she's feeling much better now.

Sue Jackson August 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

So sorry to hear Jess has had a bad time lately.

Your school's attendance policy sounds insanely strict! Our district allows up to 25 absences a year, from 25 to 45, the principal has discretion to approve, and over 45 requires summer school BUT even that can be gotten around with an attendance waiver, which Jamie has used several years. Maybe check and see if they have a similar waiver available for ill kids?

Stomach viruses are the worst! Most of us with CFS rarely get viruses because our immune systems over-react to viruses (and under-react to bacteria), but maybe Jess is an exception (or it's just a bout of bad luck). Bad timing, too, right at the start of the school year.

I hope things improve next week!!

Sue

P.S. I like your new blog home!

Lori P August 30, 2009 at 6:52 AM  

Hi Sue!
The policy doesn't make sense to me either. BUT we quickly re-applied for intermittent hospital homebound status for this year (you have to apply each year) and it will override all other absences. I just feel for any other kids who get the flu, or worse, mono!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments & feedback. Thanks for visiting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP